Hay Fever is an extreme allergic
reaction to pollen from flowers, grass and trees in the Spring and
The body reacts to airborne allergens
by releasing histamine, which causes inflammation of the membranes
lining the nose, throat and sinuses. This increases the production
of mucus and causes sinus congestion.
Other symptoms include a blocked or
runny nose, itchy, red and watering eyes, sneezing, drowsiness,
headache, sore throat.
Tip: the homeopathic remedies
Allium cepa, Arsenicum album and Sabadilla all relieve runny eyes
Diet and Nutrition
Cut down on any mucous forming foods such as dairy products, citrus fruits especially oranges; wheat, foods high in saturated fats, white flour products eg biscuits and cakes, and meats and pies.
Also try to avoid sugar as this compromises the immune system. Reduce salt, artificial additives, caffeine and alcohol.
Step up your consumption of garlic and onions, which contain the flavinoid Quercetin a natural anti-histamine which helps to reduce the severity of the allergy. Take a freshly squeezed vegetable juice in the morning (eg. beetroot and artichoke, with some ginger, garlic, apple and carrot) as this helps boost the immune system and helps to eliminate toxins.
Eat plenty of bioflavinoids, which are in certain fruits, and help protect mucous membranes. Choose from: blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, and kiwi fruit. Also eat plenty of fresh vegetables, whole-grains and brown rice which all help to eliminate toxins, boost antioxidant levels and Vitamin B.
Supplements: Vitamin B complex, large doses of Vitamin C (1-2grams), 200iu Vitamin E, 7500iu Vitamin A and Quercetin (400mg x 3 a day).
The following herbal formula is very helpful in alleviating the symptoms of Hayfever:
- Elderflower 2 parts
- Eyebright 1part
- Golden Seal 1part
Elderflower is particularly good for a runny nose. A tea should be made of these herbs and drunk 2-3 times a day.
- Garlic, ginger and horseradish tincture help ease congestion and reduce symptoms. Take 1-2ml as needed.
- Nettle tea helps to ease the symptoms of allergic rhinitis - or take tablets or tincture x 3 a day if you suffer from this
- Organic Manuka Honey - taking a dessertspoon daily for about a month before the onset of symptoms can protect from full-blown Hayfever as it contains small amounts of pollen so helps you develop the appropriate antibodies.
- Arsen Alb. 6C - For an irritating, itchy nose, sneezing, and thin watery discharge
- Euphrasia 6C - Inflamed, watering eyes, irritated throat and headaches
- Pulsatilla 6C - Burning, itchy eyes, sore throat, and blocked nose
- Massage your sinuses with lavender, elecampane and sweet almond oils to relieve congestion.
- Alternatively place of few drops of melissa and basil on a handkerchief and inhale to clear the sinuses.
- Avoid stress wherever possible as this can trigger allergic reactions
- Always wear sunglasses.
- Stop smoking and avoid smoky enclosed spaces.
- Use an ioniser in the house to reduce airborne irritants, especially in the bedroom.
- Control house dust and mites which can trigger a reaction by using special duvet, pillow, and mattress covers from specialist suppliers.
- Damp dust once a week on all surfaces.
- Check for allergies to animal fur - if so, keep animals out of living areas especially domestic pets such as cats and dogs. Many people who suffer from hayfever are allergic to cat hair.
- Avoid aspirin if you are sensitive as this can exacerbate symptoms.
Statement | Terms
& Conditions | Telephone: 020 7243 1968
| Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
| Designed & Developed by SP
Internet Consultancy Ltd
| Ailments |
| Health News
| Focus | Doctor
File | Q &
A | Features
| Support Groups
| About Us
Doctor | Events